Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gluten-Free Cheddar Biscuits -- only a solid month later!

You may begin to notice that I have a minor addiction to trolling Betty Crocker's website for Gluten-Free Bisquick recipes. Why do this when there are thousands of completely delicious recipes that have been perfectly developed by seasoned gluten-free chefs? I'll tell you why...two reasons: Bisquick is cheap (especially with the boxtops4education.com coupons!) and it is quick. I'd love to spend 2-3 hours preparing a meal for my fiance and I after work (honestly - that was a sarcasm-free statement!) but I just don't have the energy after a day of wrangling preschoolers...those are my weekend meals.

That said, this recipe is an awesome quick and easy side dish that can fill that carb craving so many of us gluten-free eaters have. I don't know about you all, but sometimes I just need something different from my standard rice/potato side and these are great. Also, cheddar! Awesomeeeee (Not to mention this is Gluten-Free in Vermont - hellloooooo delicious cheddar!). These are like a gluten-free version of those tasty Red Lobster biscuits. So here it goes. Thanks, Betty Crocker. Here's the original if you would like.

Ingredients - Biscuits:
- 2 cups of Gluten-Free Bisquick
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of firm butter (We're not talking super-duper firm here though...be careful!)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs

Ingredients - Garlic Butter Topping:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder

Now let's roll:

1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Combine Bisquick mix and garlic powder.
3. Cut in butter with dry ingredients. You can do this with a pastry cutter if you have one. I don't. I used a fork. You want this to look awkward and lumpy but well-blended.
4. Stir in the cheese, milk and eggs until you are left with a biscuity-like dough.
5. Spoon rounded spoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Betty Crocker said 10, but I got more like 14 so go crazy :)
6. Bake 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.
7. Mix together melted butter and garlic powder. Brush ontop of biscuits.
8. Serve them.

Ta-da! Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment