Saturday, December 10, 2011

Crunchy Corn Chex™ Chicken Tenders

Before I began eating gluten-free for health reasons, I was an avid chicken tender lover. Venturing into this new world of eating caused me to have to rethink some of my favorite foods (or, for the time being, give them up). After much thinking, I decided to give it whirl to make my own gluten-free chicken tenders. Since gluten-free breadcrumbs tend to be costly and not-so-tasty, I found my inspiration in a box of Corn Chex cereal. I thought this could be made into a delightfully crunchy coating for my chicken tenders in lieu of breadcrumbs. This was very successful and resulted in deliciously crunchy and satisfying chicken tenders that my gluten-eating fiance called "the best chicken tenders ever." Hope you enjoy!



Crunchy Corn Chex Chicken Tenders

2 Large Chicken Breasts
3/4 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 raw eggs, scrambled
2 cups of Corn Chex

1. Trim chicken breasts and cut into strips.
2. Crush Corn Chex.
3. Separate Flour into one bowl, egg into another and crushed Chex into a third.
4. Dip each strip first into flour to evenly coat, then into egg mixture to evenly coat and then into the Chex to evenly coat. I like to use a separate fork for each bowl because the flour, egg and Chex will clump.
5. After completing this for all chicken, pan fry until crispy and golden brown in vegetable oil.
6. Place chicken in a casserole, season with salt and pepper. Put in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes (keep an eye on them!) or until slightly more brown and crispy.

These are also great with buffalo sauce. I made my own by melting 3 Tbsp of unsalted butter, 1/2 cup of Hot Sauce and black pepper to taste in a microwave-safe container (covered with a paper towel) in the microwave -- mm!

1 comment:

  1. The thing that makes this recipe so great is that the oils are retained into the chicken tender much better than with regular bread crumbs. I compare the juiciness to how juicy a really good fried McNugget tastes, without the processed chicken! Fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete