Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Eating Out Gluten-Free: Pizza (A Review)

I think I can safely say on behalf of many of us gluten-free eaters that I miss pizza. I miss the deliciously melty cheese and the joy of going to a pizza joint with a group of friends for the social ritual of eating pizza. However, with the growing awareness of Celiac Disease and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS), some (I almost said many, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far...) pizza joints have developed their own gluten-free crusts or have gotten used to having premade gluten-free crusts on hand. AWESOME! This is such an awesome effort on their behalf to help out an ever-growing population. One chain restaurant that I know of, Uno's Pizzeria, has a gluten-free pizza on their menu so that those of us who cannot have gluten for one reason or another can still indulge in the tradition of sharing pizza with friends (and do so at a chain restaurant - another serious plus). This pizza is really just okay -- think frozen pizza taste -- but to be honest, I will continue to order it because I just love having that option when I am dining out. We also have two great pizza places in Brattleboro, Vermont (okay, one is in West Brattleboro) that have their own gluten-free pizza options. One of these is Champ's and one is West Brattleboro Pizza. I have tried both and they are great in their own way. Can I tell you what impresses me the most? The obvious effort both places put forth to avoid cross-contamination of food. While I am not a diagnosed Celiac, I have strong reactions to contaminated but otherwise gluten-free foods (we'll go into why I am not diagnosed another time) and I know sometimes it is hard for people who do not share this sensitivity to understand the importance of making sure not even a single crumb of gluten touches our food. I guess that is the point of this post...to talk about how you might be able to best choose a pizza joint offering gluten-free pizza.

Here are some of the "tips" I try to follow when selecting somewhere to eat:
1. Does the restaurant seem to have a knowledge of what gluten is?
2. Do they seem to understand that eating gluten-free is not a "fad diet" or something like the Atkins craze - that it causes harmful affects on those whose bodies cannot tolerate it?
3. Do they take cross-contamination seriously?
4. Do they seem put-off by your concerns about gluten consumption?

These are just a few, and maybe you will come up with some of your own (and share them, I'd love to add more!). However, I think one of the best ways to judge a pizza joint (especially one whose production line is visible) is to watch them as they prepare your pizza. A great and careful pizza place will make sure that your pizza is separate from the others in the oven, usually by using some sort of physical barrier (cardboard, pan, etc) and they will make sure, from start to finish, that your pizza is uncontaminated. If you see something you don't feel comfortable with or a place where you see contamination, do not be afraid to speak up. This is not only a time for you to be proactive and protect your body but for you to spread awareness and educate a business to better serve a group of people (and any respectable business would be happy to do that). Remember: it is their responsibility to provide you with the most accurate information about the preparation of your meal but it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that you take care of your body.

So take a chance! Research some gluten-free pizza joints in your area. If you don't have any, don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and others and ask some of your local pizza places if they would ever consider serving gluten-free pizza. It may seem that everyone knows about the gluten-free population, but it never hurts to offer some suggestions...it would increase their business market AND give you a new option when you're looking to dine out - awesome! :)

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment