Saturday, December 10, 2011

Gluten-Free Hot Dog Buns

Who doesn't love hot dogs? I love them. Seriously...any way you present them to me -- mmmm! (Actually, scratch that - none of those all-beef dogs for this lady...blech!) However, I cannot bring myself to pay $4.99 or something like that for a package of hot dog buns. I have not been eating gluten-free long enough to forget the days of $.79-$.99 8-packs of buns. This prompted me to make my own hot dog buns. I found a recipe on 2 Be Gluten-Free for hot dog buns. I decided to use my All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour from Bob's Red Mill (a GF girl's best friend) to make these instead of mixing the different starches and flours together (the BRM blend is very similar ingredient-wise) and therefore used the following mixture:



- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (again, I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil

1. Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl.
2. Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Mix together
4. Spoon a hot dog-shaped amount of dough onto a greased cookie sheet (I made about 5 of these with the dough, probably could have made more like 8-10)
5. Bake for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. (Mine did not take the full 14 minutes as indicated in the original recipe)
6. Let cool. Slice down the center like a hot dog bun, insert hot dog and enjoy!

These taste kind of like crescent rolls (doughy, a little sweet). My hot dog sort of tasted like a giant pig-in-a-blanket to be totally honest; delicious, but not quite what I was going for. I still recommend this because it is quick (about 5 minutes prep time, 12 minutes cook time) and uses some fairly common baking ingredients. However, the search continues.

Mine were a little large for these hotdogs, so next time I would probably make more buns with the dough.

Mm, tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment